Welcome back! I am so excited to have been given this opportunity to "Loop" with your child. Looping is the practice of advancing a teacher from one grade level to the next along with his or her class. Research shows that looping has many advantages for students. Numerous social and academic benefits accrue when a teacher stays with a group of students for more than one year (Grant, Johnson, & Richardson, 1995; Checkley, 1995):
- fewer student/teacher transitions
- the teacher has fewer students and parents with whom to relate over a longer period of time, allowing for more in depth knowledge about the students and their needs
- attendance improves and overall, the discipline improves
- better follow-through of curriculum themes and concepts allowing for more in-depth study and understanding
- learning time increases as the students are already familiar with the teacher and routines during the second year
- fewer grade-level retention's
- an increased sense of stability & consistency for students
- opportunities for teachers to better individualize curriculum and instruction
- reduced apprehension about the new school year during the second year
- development of a sense of community in the classroom; greater support for children who look to school as a stabilizing influence in their lives
- increased student self-confidence
No School: October 8th
We will be using Class Dojo this school year. Students have the opportunity to earn points daily. Points will be tracked using Class Dojo and will determine student’s eligibility to attend the monthly incentives.
Each day, students have the opportunity to earn 4 points.
They will earn points for…
Students can lose points if they receive a:
Clemente Leadership Academy school rules are in the school handbook and are expected to be followed. Parents and students should read through the handbook and sign/return the front page.
Together the students and I created our personal classroom rules and consequences. These rules will be posted in our classroom throughout the entire year. A behavior clip chart will be used to track student daily behaviors. Students will begin each day on “Ready to Learn” and have the opportunity to clip up or down. Students who are modeling positive classroom behaviors can earn their way to “Outstanding” and receive a reward.
Our goal at Clemente is to create a close sense of community. By having the students all wear uniforms the focus and attention is put on academics and promoting a positive learning environment. Students should be wearing khaki bottoms with a black collared shirt. All students must have AT LEAST one magnet school polo shirt to wear on school trips. Students will not be able to attend field trips without a magnet school polo shirt. You may contact the main office to purchase a school uniform.
Your child will have homework Monday - Thursday. Homework will usually consist of a reading assignment and a math assignment. In addition to their nightly homework, your child should be reading for a minimum of 20 minutes each night.
If your child does not understand a part of their homework it is okay for them to skip questions or leave that portion blank. Please just write a note so that I know that your child did attempt the homework, but struggled. This will allow me to help your child with the assignment during school hours.
Please check and sign your child’s agenda each night.
Consequences for no homework